Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Moody Park 6/29/08 Mudfest

Sunday June 29, 2008

Moody Park, EFTA Series # 4.

Headed out to NH to Moody Park for the EFTA series # 4 on 6/28, pre-rode the course and it was a mess from the rain we’d had the past few days. Thunderstorms took place all night from there and did not make it any better for race day. Figured running would be the focus Sunday morning.
Our class was small as some riders chose to do the Mt Snow pre-race that was held on the same day but still all very fast racers. Matt Boobar, Chris Gagnon and Noah Taylor had also shown up to race in the mud fest.
Whistle blew and off we went into the woods for the first of 4 laps, Matt took off with Chris, Noah and myself behind as we all hammered for the woods. Singletrack sections usually ridden were not even halfway usable at this point so running became the issue within the first mile, at least gravity cavity was wide open and let you shoot down one side more than fast enough to carry your ride into the techy climb on the far side.
One of the open climbs we all worked together, I moved past Matt to pull/lead for a bit before dumping back into the single track section prior to the start/finish area. When I came out of the single track later I did not see anyone with me so decided to do the just keep that pace and see how it held. Matt and Noah are a bit taller with the longer legs so I fugured “make time where I could” from there just held a steady pace and ran a lot! Rode over the line after three more laps for the win with Matt in second and Noah third.




This was taken after race while eating a snickers bar.

My 29er is what got me through this event, unbelievable how well it handled all the mud we raced in, some rain during the event would have been very helpful for wash off for shifting/braking but that’s racing. Glad my LAKE shoes tied off also, the shoestrings kept them on when the velcro came undone, new latched set on it’s way from them now. I am old, don’t deal well with change so it took the mudfest to make an upgrade to a not all velcro shoe.

No comments: